Phytonutrients are chemicals produced by plants. Colourful fruits and vegetables can paint a beautiful picture of health because they contain phytonutrients, compounds that give plants their rich colours, their distinctive tastes and aromas and keep them healthy. These chemicals help protect plants from germs, fungi, bugs, and other threats and it’s becoming apparent that many of these benefits can be applied to human health too. More than 25,000 phytonutrients are found in plants.
Brewing Beauty Co. incorporates these five phytonutrient compounds into their formulations to provide a range of therapeutic actions like increasing skin cell turnover and helping to address disorders such as psoriasis, acne and photoaging:
• Carotenoids: It’s from carotenoids that fruits like sea buckthorn, pumpkins and carrots take their beautiful red and orange colours. Carotenoids are vitamin A derivatives which are highly effective antioxidants and have been documented to possess photoprotective properties. Converting to vitamin A (retinol) in our bodies, our carotenoids make health and beauty one and the same.
• Bioflavonoids: Bioflavonoids are found in any fruit, vegetable or flower that contains vitamin C. While Vitamin C provides a range of benefits, evening out skin tone, shielding from pollution, improving hydration and stimulating collagen production, lesser-known bioflavonoids are required for the absorption of vitamin C. Bioflavonoids are powerfully antibacterial and possess formidable antioxidant properties too.
• Anthocyanins: Characterised by their distinctive purple, red and blue hues, anthocyanins are part of the anti-oxidant flavonoid family. Fighting the effects of ageing and oxidative stress, Anthocyanins are famed for their protective properties, from pollution to sun damage. The example source plants are Blackberry, cherry, orange, purple corn, raspberry, and red grapes with potential anti-allergic, anti-inflammatory, anti-oxidants, and anti-pigment benefits.
• Chlorophylls: Chlorophyll, which gives leaves their green colour, is the natural solution for burns and inflammation. Its natural alkaline anti-microbial and anti-inflammatory properties help to cool and soothe summer skin. Given its antioxidant power and the presence of magnesium, chlorophyll supports in maintaining healthy tissue, stimulates anti-ageing enzymes, and reduces local inflammation.
• Pre/Probiotics: Used in combination, pre and probiotics can have an outstanding effect on skin’s surface protection. Working to support the skin’s natural biome means it has the best chance of offsetting human and environmental factors causing redness, dryness or irritation – improving skin texture and strength, minimising fine lines, and restoring radiance.